By Steven Vertovec
* the historic development of the class 'Hinduism in India'
* the formation of a particular Caribbean Hindu tradition through the 19th century
* the function of teenage teams in forging new identities in the course of Trinidad's Hindu Renaissance
* the replica of locally dependent identities and frictions in Britain's Hindu communities
* the diversities in temple use around the diaspora.
This e-book presents a wealthy and interesting view of the Hindu diaspora long ago, current and its attainable futures.
Read or Download The Hindu Diaspora: Comparative Patterns (Global Diasporas) PDF
Similar hinduism books
Seems at Western understandings of South Asian religions and indigenous responses from pre-colonial to modern instances. concentrating on obstacles, appropriations, and resistances considering Western engagements with South Asian religions, this edited quantity considers either the pre- and postcolonial interval in India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh.
Makes use of either textual and ethnographic assets to illustrate that during Śaṅkara’s vedānta, brahman is an energetic strength in addition to a transcendent final. Śaṅkara’s proposal, advaita vedānta or non-dual vedānta, is a convention inquisitive about brahman, the final word truth transcending all specific manifestations, phrases, and ideas.
The Rigveda is the oldest Sanskrit textual content, together with over 1000 hymns devoted to numerous divinities of the Vedic culture. Orally composed and orally transmitted for numerous millennia, the hymns show notable poetic complexity and spiritual sophistication. because the fruits of the lengthy culture of Indo-Iranian oral-formulaic compliment poetry and the 1st monument of particularly Indian religiosity and literature, the Rigveda is essential to the certainty either one of Indo-European and Indo-Iranian cultural prehistory and of later Indian spiritual background and excessive literature.
One Self is a compilation of satsangs with Nomefrom might four, 2003 to January 29, 2012. the entire satsangs commence with silence, which unearths the genuine nature of the single Self—our real nature. such a lot satsangs then have a discourse at the nature of the single Self and guide on tips on how to perform Sri Ramana’s Self-Inquiry.
- God's Gateway: Identity and Meaning in a Hindu Pilgrimage Place
- Forms of Knowledge in Early Modern Asia: Explorations in the Intellectual History of India and Tibet, 1500–1800
- Shiva Speaks: Conversations with Maha Avatar Babaji
- Meditation and Culture: The Interplay of Practice and Context
Additional info for The Hindu Diaspora: Comparative Patterns (Global Diasporas)